Trek to the Rainbow Mountain
7 Colors Mountain Tour – This picturesque summit used to be an attractive 4 day trek to the snowy Ausangate. Over the years, this mountain gained popularity on its own. Today, the most widespread way to visit this summit is through a tour. There are 1-day and 2-day services. Most include transportation, food, entrance fees and professional guide. In the city of Cuzco there are many tourism agencies offering these services.
Traveling on your own? – It is also possible to visit the ‘Cerro Colorado’ on your own. For this, the visitor must take a bus to Sicuani from the city of Cuzco (2 hours and 40 minutes away). Once there, a bus is taken to the town of Quesiuno. Then a walk begins (you can also hire a horse ride) to the Mountain of the 7 Colors. The price of the entrance ticket is 10 soles.
Difficulty of the mountain – The 3 or 4 hour walk (depending on the tourist’s physical condition) is not dangerous and requires moderate-high physical effort. There are considerable sections of slopes up and down. However, one of the biggest difficulties is cold weather and icy wind. The altitude of the area can cause altitude sickness or soroche. A previous acclimatization of 1 or 2 days in the city of Cusco is recommended.
Recommendations – Spend a day or two acclimatizing in the city of Cusco. Take warm clothes to do the walk. If you do not consider yourself in good physical condition for the trek, rent a horse to one of the locals. On that day, don’t forget a hat or cap, sunscreen, jacket, pants, ideal shoes for trekking and a rain poncho. MORE INFORMATION OF RAINBOW MOUNTAIN
The Trek to the Humantay lagoon
Can I go to the lagoon on my own?
– Yes. To go to the lagoon on your own you must take public transportation from the city of Cusco to the town of Soraypampa. The buses leave from the ‘Arcopata’ terminal and cost approximately 15 Peruvian soles (5 USD).
Once in Soraypampa you must get a collective taxi service to the Soraypampa community. There are times when you will not find this transport so you must get a taxi. This service could cost 50 Peruvian soles (15 USD).
Finally, in Soraypampa you must make the walk to the Humantay lagoon. Due to the complexity of the trip by public transport, it is recommended to choose a tourist package with transport included. It can be cheaper and safer than going on your own.
How much does the entrance to the lagoon cost?
– In the town of Mollepata you must pay to enter the Soraypampa camp where the lagoon is. The cost for foreign tourists is 10 Peruvian soles (3 USD). The cost for Peruvian tourists is 5 Peruvian soles (2 USD). Some tour packages include this entry while others do not.
How long does the walk last?
– The final section of the trip is the walk from Soraypampa to the Humantay lagoon. This section is approximately 2 kilometers long and can take from 1 to 2 hours, depending on the physical condition of the visitor. Tourists who are not used to this type of hiking can rent a horse as transportation to the lagoon. It is common for tourists to feel the symptoms of altitude sickness, whether in Cusco, Machu Picchu or Humantay.
How to rent a horse? How much?
– The residents of the Soraypampa community offer horse rental at the starting point of the trek to the Humantay lagoon. The service is only for the upstream section and has an approximate cost of 90 Peruvian soles negotiable (30 USD).
What kind of clothes to wear?
– Due to the cold climate of the Humantay lagoon, it is recommended to wear a warm jacket as well as gloves and chullo. Of course, during the walk wear light clothing since the visitor will inevitably perspire. A rain poncho is also important since it can rain at any time.
With which tourism agency to travel?
– In Cusco there are several tourism agencies that offer the 1-day tour to the Humantay lagoon. All services must include: full transportation, breakfast, lunch and tour guide service. Choose the tourism agency that meets your expectations. Remember that you can also contract the service through the website of the tourist agency.
Can I get a tour once in Cusco?
– Yes. Unlike the Inca Trail tours or the entrances to Machu Picchu, there is always availability for the tour to the Humantay lagoon. Therefore, you can get a tour to the lagoon once in Cusco, without any problem. MORE INFORMATION OF HUMANTAY LAKE